Tuesday 24 March 2015

Nelson Lakes

Stayed overnight in Blenheim on Sunday. The idea was to go for another wine tasting session on Monday and move across to Nelson Lakes on Tuesday. Still felt a bit poorly on Monday from the Saturday session so passed on the wine tasting and drove to St Arnaud instead. Visited both of the Nelson Lakes on Monday afternoon. The area is also known for its tarns, although they continue to call them lakes over here.  Also wanted a good walk for Tuesday and found just the job. It was meant to be a minimum 2 days but the DOC office said it could be done as a day walk. About 28 kilometres with a total of 1700 metres of climb. So I thought I would give it a whirl. I have to say it was exhausting and I really know about it today. But it was also top drawer. I was a little concerned at first because the cloud base was a bit low but it turned out ok. There was an initial climb (of Mount Robert) and then a brilliant undulating ridge walk to Lake (tarn!) Angelus, then down by what they call the Speargrass Creek Route. Just on eight hours in total. Sat in the hostel lounge after supper with a gang of Kiwis and watched the semi final. I'm not a cricket fan but what a great game!
Moved to Picton today from where I will catch the ferry back to Wellington on the North Island. I'll then make my way up the east coast back to Auckland!
Couple of pictures of the ground level lakes attached-Rotoiti and Rotorua.
Much love,
Glen x

No comments:

Post a Comment