Friday 6 February 2015

Makarora to Wanaka Take 2

Drove a few kilometres back into Haast Pass from Makarora before heading for Wanaka as the events of the last couple of days caused me to miss some bits I was hoping to see. A waterfall called Thunder Creek and another called Fantail. Also a short walk up to Haast Pass Lookout.

I think I mentioned in my previous post that the drive frim Makarora to Wanaka was stunning. The area is called the Mount Aspiring National Park and aspiring it is. Stopped a few times on my way just to sit and look but about 25 kilometres from Wanaka there was a climb up to a place called Isthmus Peak that I was particularly interested in as the views were supposed to be superb. And they were! Not at all sure  about Wanaka itself. Beautiful, beautiful setting on the edge of a lake but totally dedicated to grabbing a buck from the tourists. And the place is packed to the rafters. Weather has picked up again today. The last few nights have been very very cold and although my hire car is another estate, it's not big enough to sleep in. Bring out the tent! Had a mooch round the town this morning and will go to the lake in a little while to chill. Another walk tomorrow and then off to Queenstown Monday.

Pictures of the two falls. Not  sure what the little stone temples are!

Take care,

Glen x

No comments:

Post a Comment