Wednesday 25 February 2015

Dunedin to Oamaru

Broke the day into two bits. First off from Dunedin to Oamaru. Super  drive. Mountains to the west for much of the way. The South Pacific to the east. What more could a man want? Visited the Moeraki Boulders and  stopped off for coffee and cake en route and felt the day was really shaping. Then..... having arrived  in Oamaru I was having a look around the old part of the town and I spied a pub with some proper beer pulling handles. Result ! First real ale pub I'd found in NZ. I thought have one now, get the tent set up and stay the night,  and come back for a couple and a bite to eat after finishing a tour of the town. In I went and they were fake! Devastated or what? So I finished my tour of the town and moved on for a couple of hours. Actually, I really liked the place. It was a throw back to times past and really quirky. Old style Curio shops and tea rooms and museums, and some of the architecture was wonderful. But the disappointment of the beer was just too much and Mount Cook was calling.
Couple of pics of the boulders attached. The story goes that no one knows how they got there or why they're spherical. It's  a mystery!!
Glen x

No comments:

Post a Comment