Sunday 21 December 2014

90 Mile Beach, Cape Reinga and the Manginangina Forrest

Come to the conclusion that I'm only able to comfortably attach 2 pictures to a post so will limit myself to that and just send more smaller posts. Be ok when I catch up with myself!  Anyway. Took a coach trip further up into the Northlands, in fact as far as you can go on the north island. A grest day out. Dropped onto 90 mile beach at the south end and, apart from one stop, the coach drove the whole length to the north end at 60 miles an hour! It was raining and blowing a hooley and the surf was up and it was just beautiful. Stopped at the north end to do some sand surfing. Terrific fun.  You were only supposed to have one go but I managed three.  Only because some people didn't want a turn!

While, for me, the weather enhanced the beach experience, unfortunately when we got to the cape the clag was in and we couldn't see past the end of our noses! It's where the Tasman and South Pacific collide and I was so looking forward to the views. Had to make do with a picture of the lighthouse instead! As we couldn't see anything a group of youngsters from a Maori school were also visiting and they entertained the crowd with some traditional songs. Thoroughly enjoyed it. From the cape the tour then took us south to the Manginangina Forrest where some of the redwoods were said to be more than 300 years old! Had my first piece of fish and chips on the tour. Give me Silks in Scarborough or Brian's in Headingly any day!

A couple of shots of 90 mile beach taken from the front of a coach travelling at 60 miles an hour

No comments:

Post a Comment